From the minute we stepped into the lobby of the Grand Park Royal Cancun, I could tell it was going to live up to the luxury resort status. The slogan at Grand Park Royal is “stay grand” and we definitely felt a difference there compared to other resorts we’ve stayed at. The Grand Park Royal is a 5-star resort in Cancun, and it’s part of the Park Royal family of resorts based out of Mexico.
It can be tough to find a luxury all-inclusive resort that’s also family-friendly. One of the best parts about the Grand Park Royal in Cancun is that it’s great for anyone. Whether you’re visiting Cancun with kids, going on a girls trip or a couples getaway, it caters to all groups and travel styles.
Keep reading for our detailed Grand Park Royal Cancun review.
Disclaimer: We were hosted by Grand Park Royal Cancun in exchange for this review. As always, all opinions are our own. Toddling Traveler also participates in the Amazon Affiliate program and other affiliate programs. That means we may earn a commission for qualifying purchases through out links, at no charge to you.
Grand Park Royal Cancun Review
The Pools at the Grand Park Royal Cancun
Any time we go to an all-inclusive resort, the pools are usually the biggest draw. Grand Park Royal has two separate and unique pools. There’s one large, main pool by the lobby area. It’s flanked with lounge chairs and umbrellas as well as a pizza oven and snack bar. It’s also conveniently located right by the main restaurant and adjacent to the beach. There are several activities throughout the day at the main pool for people of all ages. There’s also a sandy area by the pool with hammocks, a trampoline and play area for the kids.
Our favorite pool at this Cancun all-inclusive resort is the infinity pool. The views overlooking the ocean were stunning. The pool is surrounded by lounge chairs and cabanas. In addition to an awesome swim up bar, there was also an amazing smoothie stand that was perfect for a healthy, refreshing treat. While the infinity pool is definitely more sophisticated and geared toward adults, children are still able to use it. Our son loved swimming in the bottom part of the pool with his swimming vest. He also thought the poolside juice service from the great pool staff was the coolest thing ever.
There’s also direct access to the beach from both pools. So you can easily go back and forth between the beach and pool throughout the day. (Without walking to the other side of the resort to get there!)
The only drawback about the Grand Park Royal, if you’re visiting Cancun with kids, is that there isn’t a designated kids’ pool. If you’re looking for a resort in Cancun with waterslides, the nearby Park Royal Golden Cancun has an awesome kids’ pool with several slides.
The Beach at the Grand Park Royal
If you’re looking for resorts in Cancun with the best beaches, the Grand Park Royal Cancun beach is hard to beat. The white-sand beach is flat with a short walking distance to the blue Caribbean Ocean. There are also tons of lounge chairs and umbrellas set up across the resort. While sargassum seaweed in Mexico has been an issue, we didn’t notice it at all during our trip in November of 2019.
The ocean was a little rough when we were there, so there were a few red flags set up throughout our trip to Cancun that prevented water access. November can still be a little stormy, and my understanding is that this typically isn’t an issue during peak travel season in Cancun.
Kids’ Club at the Grand Park Royal Cancun
If you’re looking for a Cancun resort with a kids’ club, the Grand Park Royal kids club is amazing. The “club” is a large space by the lobby with an indoor playground and ball pit, plus a swing and kids movies playing on repeat. Although our son wasn’t old enough to be dropped off, the staff were more than happy to keep him entertained with crafts and other activities each time we stopped by.
A few things to keep in mind if you’re visiting the Grand Park Royal in Cancun with kids:
- Just like the other Park Royal resorts, kids under 6 stay FREE. Kids 6-12 are 50% off the adult price.
- The kids’ club is open from 9am- 8pm daily.
- The age for drop-off is 4-12. Kids under 4 can enjoy the kids’ club with parental supervision.
- Activities for kids are offered throughout the day and include outdoor games, pizza parties, crafts and more.
- In-room babysitting is available with one of kids’ club staff for an additional fee. Babysitting must be arranged 24 hours in advance.
- There’s a sandy play area for kids located near the main pool that includes a trampoline and swings.
- The gift shop offers a few necessities for babies and kids, including bottles, wipes and swim diapers.
- I’d recommend a small umbrella stroller if you’re visiting with a baby or young toddler. Especially if you’re staying away from the main pool and lobby.
Activities at the Grand Park Royal Cancun Resort
In addition to the kids’ club, the Grand Park Royal offers daily activities throughout the day for guests of all ages. Daily programming from resort staff includes things like:
- Outdoor games including bocce ball, soccer, volleyball and more
- Scuba diving demos
- Bingo and guessing games
- Water aerobics and Salsa dancing
In addition to hourly activities throughout the day, you can also find other fun things to do, including
- Non-motorized water sports including snorkeling and sail boats
- Nightly entertainment including magic shows, the Coco Bongo show and disco and other musical performers
- Spa and Yoga Studio (additional fee applies)
- Fitness Center
The Food at Grand Park Royal Cancun
This luxury resort in Cancun has a number of sit down and quick service food options. The buffet was one of the best we’ve had at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality, freshness and variety of foods offered. We also enjoyed every drink we had, and you could tell they were made with quality products.
As an all-inclusive resort, all food and drinks are included with the exception of a few up-charge items.
Full Service Restaurants
- Cocay Restaurant is the main buffet restaurant that’s open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There are a few chef’s specials available at each meal, and during dinner they were able to bring special food items out for our picky toddler as well. There’s also live music at Cocay during each dinner.
- El Mirador is an Italian restaurant with beautiful views of the Nichupté Lagoon. The menu is large and diverse, and it includes several great options for kids.
- La Concha is a Mediterranean restaurant that offers beautiful views of the ocean.*
- El Oriental is an Asian restaurant with teppanyaki tables.*
- PRIME Rib House is an adults only restaurant in the Royal Tower. For an additional surcharge, guests can enjoy lobster, prime rib, crab and more.
*Both La Concha and El Oriental are only available for guests 12 or older. If you’re staying at the Grand Park Royal Cancun with kids under 12, adults can still order food from the La Concha and El Oriental restaurants while dining at Cocay.
Similar to other all-inclusive resorts, the Grand Park Royal Cancun dress code requires pants and closed toed shoes for men at dinner. Men must also wear shirts with sleeves during all meals.
Bars & Quick Service Food Options
In addition to the restaurants at Grand Park Royal Cancun, there are several bars, snack bars and other quick service food options available at the resort.
- Both pools have great bars. There’s also an indoor lounge in the lobby and the Equinox, one of the best rooftop bars in Cancun. We went up to the Equinox before dinner one evening, and the sunset views are some of the most beautiful I’ve seen.
- Cafe Sole offers coffee, tea, ice cream and quick food options including fruit, panini and pastries.
- The Pizza Corner is right by the main pool. It has a pizza oven serving hot pizza from 11am-5pm daily.
- El Jardin is located by the main pool and offers snacks and quick meals, including nachos, hamburgers and more. There’s also a taco stand available from Friday- Sunday.
The Rooms and Suites
One of the great things about the Grand Park Royal in Cancun is the number of different room options available. There’s a room o suite for almost every group size and budget. We stayed in an Oceanfront Premier Room at Grand Park Royal Cancun. The marble bathroom was luxurious and the room was completely spotless. We were also able to request a wooden crib that was available in our room as soon as we checked in. The best part about the Grand Park Royal Cancun is the beachfront views that come with almost every room. The balcony was a great place to sit each morning and watch the sunrise. (One of the unexpected perks of traveling with a toddler!)
The Grand Park Royal Cancun also offers a number of suites, including the Premier Suite, Royal Tower Suite, Villa Master Suite and Villa Junior Suite. If you’re looking for a Cancun resort with butler service, the Villa suites offer this service. Additionally, the Royal Tower offers adults only rooms. This is a great option if you’re planning an adults only vacation in Mexico.
All rooms come with a stocked mini fridge that’s filled every 24 hours.
Check-in and Check-out
We arrived at the Grand Park Royal in the early afternoon on a Tuesday. Despite the number of people checking in and out, it didn’t take long for us to check-in and find our way to our room. The only issue we had was that we weren’t aware that we needed to go back and provide our room number to the bell desk. After our luggage didn’t arrive for over an hour, we discovered the issue and they delivered our luggage perfectly intact.
Check-out at Grand Park Royal Cancun was super efficient as well. Upon check-out, each guest also receives a confirmation that enables them access to food and drinks for a few hours. This is a great benefit if you have a later flight time and will be staying at the resort after 12pm checkout.
Overall Impressions of Grand Park Royal Cancun
Despite a short 3 day visit, we were very happy with our experience at the Grand Park Royal Cancun. We loved the luxury feeling, the beaches and pools and the food selections. Another highlight for us was being able to see both the amazing sunrises from our balcony and the most beautiful sunset from the Equinox Lounge. It was the first time I recall seeing both a great sunset and sunrise in the same place.
Although this Cancun resort was a little larger than the Grand Park Royal Cozumel and Park Royal Golden Cancun, it was still manageable and easy to get around. I would definitely stay at the Grand Park Royal Cancun again and recommend it for both families and couples alike.
Do you have any additional questions about the Grand Park Royal Cancun? I’d love to answer in the comments below.
- Mexico Travel Tips for a Safe Vacation with Family
- All-Inclusive Vacation in Mexico: Cancun vs Cozumel
- Park Royal Golden Cancun: A Family Friendly Resort in Cancun
- Review of Grand Park Royal Cozumel All-Inclusive Resort
Like this Post? Click on the Image Below to Pin for Later