Planning to visit Ocean City, MD? There are so many great things to do, whether you’re going on a trip with friends or an Ocean City, Maryland family vacation. After almost 30 years of vacationing in OCMD and West Ocean City, we’ve pulled together a comprehensive list of some of the best things to do in Ocean City, MD.
Keep reading for fun things to do in OCMD for every age and interest!
Disclaimer: Toddling Traveler participates in Amazon Affiliates and other affiliate programs. That means we could earn a commission for qualifying purchases at no extra charge to you.
Table of Contents: Things to Do in Ocean City, Maryland
This list of fun and unique things to do is grouped by category, so you can jump to what you’re looking for. We’ve included some off the beaten path things to do in Ocean City, MD as well. Be sure to read the entire list to create your OCMD bucket list.
Things to Do Outdoors in OCMD
As a popular summer vacation destination in the US, so many great Ocean City, Maryland attractions are outside. In addition to the main beach in downtown Ocean City, there are tons of outdoor things to do in OCMD. Below are some of our favorite Ocean City, MD attractions outdoors to enjoy the water and views.
- Walk or ride bikes on the Ocean City, MD boardwalk in the morning before the crowds set in. Bikes are permitted until 11am during the busy season.
- See the wild horses at Assateague Island National Seashore. (It’s one of our absolute favorites things to do near Ocean City, MD!) The best place to find the Assateague ponies is on the drive to the National Seashore entrance.
- Kayak on Ayers Creek. This spot for kayaking near Ocean City, MD offers beautiful nature and wildlife views. You can rent a kayak or do a guided tour at Ayers Creek Adventures.
- Take in the views from Homer Gudelsky Park, a.k.a. Stinky Beach. This small beach is operated by Worcester County Parks.
- Go deep sea fishing- one of our favorite Ocean City, Maryland things to do. You can find several great Ocean City fishing charters at Sunset Marina. Not into fishing? There are also several options for boat rides in Ocean City, Maryland.
- Rent jet skis on the bay. You can search for jet ski rentals in Ocean City, MD here.
- Go Parasailing over the ocean or stand up paddle boarding on the bay side.
- Go skydiving in Ocean City, Maryland from the Ocean City Municipal Airport. (I did this for a birthday one year and the views over the beach are amazing!)
- Golf at one of many Ocean City, Maryland golf courses. You can find several golf courses in Ocean City, MD here.
Things to Do With Kids in Ocean City, MD
As a family-oriented beach, there are tons of kid-friendly things to do in Ocean City, MD. In addition to the Ocean City, Maryland boardwalk and beaches, kids love the options for rides and amusements, arcades and more. The playground areas in particular are great if you’re looking for free things to do in Ocean City, MD. Below are our favorites for kids and kids at heart!
- Visit Jolly Roger Amusements for nostalgic family fun with rides for all ages at the Jolly Roger on 30th or the at the Pier. Jolly Roger is also home to the amazing Splash Mountain waterpark in Ocean City, as well as SpeedWorld® for go-karts.
- Go to Trimper’s Rides on the boardwalk for anything from kiddie rides to roller coasters.
- Find the dinosaur and whale climbing structures located right on the beach.
- Play at the Ocean City playground found on the OCMD boardwalk.
- Visit Frontier Town for wild west fun and one of the only water parks in Ocean City, MD.
- Head to Baja Amusements for the best Ocean City, MD go carts.
- Visit Ripley’s Believe it or Not in Ocean City, Maryland. This wacky museum is a great option if you’re looking for things to do in Ocean City, MD when it rains.
- Play mini golf in Ocean City, MD at one of several courses. There are two golf courses at Jolly Rogers, or Nick’s Golf and Old Time Golf are some of best places for mini golf in Ocean City, MD.
- Visit the Ocean City Lifesaving Museum at the beginning of the boardwalk. They offer a little learners program and an opportunity to view aquarium feedings. (Both of which are great if you’re looking for things to do with toddlers in Ocean City, MD.)
- Go strawberry picking and feed the goats at Berlin Organics Farm.
Related Post: Packing Tips & Products for the Beach With a Baby
Things to do in Ocean City, MD for adults
While OCMD is a family beach, there are just as many great things for adults to do in Ocean City, MD. Ocean City, Maryland nightlife offers a number of unique bars and live music venues. And you can find plenty of fun places to have a drink out in the sun. Whether you’re going on a trip with friends or having a kid-free night out, below are a few of our favorites.
- Listen to live music at M.R. Ducks for one of the best happy hours and live music in Ocean City, MD.
- Go to Seacrets during the day to float on the bay or at night for one of the most popular Ocean City, MD nightclubs.
- Have dinner and a drink in the sand at Fish Tales while the kids play on the playground. (They offer fun tiki cruises in Ocean City, MD as well!)
- Have a night out on the boardwalk with drinks and live music at Purple Moose Saloon.
- Take the Buzz Boat Water Taxi for a night of bar hopping at one of several restaurants in Ocean City, MD on the water.
- Watch the sunset from Sunset Marina. The onsite Teasers Bar is one of the best places for live music in Ocean City, MD outdoors.
- Drink an Orange Crush at Harborside, known as the original creator of the popular Maryland drink.
- Enjoy local beer at Burley Oak Brewing Company, one of the best breweries near Ocean City, MD. (Fin City Brewing is another option if you’re looking for breweries in Ocean City, MD.)
- Spend the day at the spa for a relaxing day out of the sun. A Perfect Face is our favorite day spa in Ocean City, Maryland.
The Best Things to Eat in Ocean City, MD
Are you someone who likes to try some of the most popular local foods wherever you go? We’ve got you covered with this list of can’t miss foods during a family vacation in Ocean City, MD. While some of these places are a bit touristy, they’re great if you’re new to Ocean City or looking to re-live old favorites. Below are some of the most popular foods to try on an OCMD vacation.
- Try Barn 34 or Bayside Skillet for the best breakfast in Ocean City, MD.
- Get a frozen treat with custard from Kohl’s or ice cream at Dumser’s.
- Have the best fries ever at Thrasher’s fries on the boardwalk.
- Indulge in made-to-order donuts at one of several Fractured Prune Donuts in Ocean City, MD.
- Build your own cookie sundae at BYOC in West Ocean City, MD.
- Get all-you-can-eat crab in Ocean City, MD at one of several restaurants. Some AYCE crab options include Higgins Crab House, Blu Crabhouse or Waterman’s Seafood.
- Try one of several boardwalk treats including salt water taffy from Dolle’s or fudge from Candy Kitchen.
- Get fresh lobsters right off the boat from Skilligalee Seafood. (Find them on Facebook!)
Looking for more ideas for great OCMD restaurants? Some of the best family restaurants in Ocean City, MD include Shark on the Harbor, Fager’s Island, Hoopers and Bayside Skillet. If you want something more casual, Lazy Lizard and Fish Tales have awesome play areas for kids. All of these are also great options if you’re looking for waterfront restaurants in Ocean City, MD.
If you’re not sure where to start and want to try all the best foods in Ocean City, MD, you can find an Ocean City food tour here.
Shopping in Ocean City, Maryland
It’s not a vacation without at least a little shopping, right? From surf shops in Ocean City, MD to gifts and clothing, there are several great options in the area. If you’re looking for the best shopping in the area, we’ve put together a list of some of our favorites.
- Quiet Storm has a few locations in the area, with the biggest store being on the boardwalk. It’s full of surfing gear, shoes, beachwear and popular surf clothing brands and gifts. (If you’re looking for the former Edwards Gift Shop, it’s now Quiet Storm.)
- Malibu’s Surf Shop is another great surf shop on the boardwalk with gifts, clothing, surf boards and more.
- K-Coast Surf Shop has locations on Coastal highway and boasts the largest surf shop in Maryland. There’s also an outlet (the K-Coast Warehouse) in West Ocean City if you’re looking for great deals.
- Kite Loft on the boardwalk is great for unique gifts and kites of all shapes and sizes.
- South Moon Under is a clothing and accessory store filled with many popular men’s and women’s brands, including high-end names.
- Ocean City, MD Outlets in West Ocean City have a great variety of stores for all ages and interests. Popular brands.. If you’re looking for more outlets near Ocean City, MD, the Tanger Outlets in Rehoboth, DE are another option.
- Berlin, Maryland is a charming small town near OCMD that’s full of locally owned shops and restaurants. Between the clothing boutiques, children’s stores and antiques, there’s something for everyone. (In our opinion, Berlin has the best shopping in Ocean City, MD and it’s only a short drive away.)
Ocean City, Maryland Events
In addition to all the amazing things to do on a regular basis, OCMD also offers several events throughout the year. Some of our favorite events include:
- Food, live music and a variety of local vendors at Springfest or Sunfest.
- Watching a variety of airplanes and stunts at the Ocean City Air Show.
- Seeing the weigh-ins at the White Marlin Open. It’s the largest bill fishing tournament in the world.
Related Post: Family-Friendly Guide to West Ocean City, MD
Looking for more fun things to do in Ocean City, MD? Head here for Ocean City, Maryland upcoming events.
Save this post by clicking on the image below to Pin for later!