One of my favorite things about living in Pennsylvania- and especially Pittsburgh- is that we get to experience all four seasons. Fall has always been my favorite time of year, and Pittsburgh is an awesome place for it. Between the fall foliage, apple picking, pumpkin patches in Pittsburgh and more, there’s no shortage of fall activities in Pittsburgh, PA.
Below is a rundown of our favorite fall things to do in Pittsburgh in 2020. This list also includes a few fall events and activities on our Pittsburgh bucket list for the future.
Note: Most of these fall activities are still occurring in and around Pittsburgh in the fall of 2020. Be sure to check websites beforehand for safety precautions and changes this fall relate to COVID-19. And don’t forget to bring a face mask!
Table of Contents: Things to do in Pittsburgh in the Fall
Soergel’s Orchard is located in Wexford, PA just north of Pittsburgh. While the farm and country store are great to visit all year round, it’s also home to of the most popular fall festivals in Pittsburgh.
Throughout the year, you can find the following things to do at Soergels:
- Country Store with local goods and produce, plus a bakery and deli with a small cafe.
- Garden and home store with beautiful decor for the inside and outside of your house.
- Tiny Town play area for the kids behind the country store.
- Small petting zoo area with farm animals like goats and sheep.
- Naturally Soergel’s with specialty food items for those with specific dietary needs.
- Arsenal Cider House and wine shop.
- The gift barn, with a number of unique gifts including a dedicated toy area upstairs.
Soergels also offers a great story time on Mondays. It’s definitely one of the best story times in Pittsburgh, although it’s currently on hold in light of COVID.
2020 Soergel Orchard’s Fall Festival
In addition to the regular offerings at Soergels, they hold an annual Fall Festival as well. This popular fall festival in Pittsburgh will still occur in 2020 with some changes. It’s one of our favorite fall activities in Pittsburgh, and we look forward to attending on a weekday when the crowds are lower.
Below are the highlights for Soergel’s 2020 Fall Festival.
- The Soergels pumpkin patch and apple picking will be available daily starting on September 19th. Masks and distancing will be required, with limits to the number of people allowed at a time.
- Soergel’s market will be filled with fall goodies including pumpkin treats, candy apples and cider donuts for takeout only. Outside food vendors and picnic tables will not be available this year.
- The petting zoo area will be open with distancing measures in place.
- An outdoor market will be available on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Hayrides, games, pony rides and the “Tiny Town” play area will not be available for the 2020 fall festival.
NOTE: In addition to masks and social distancing, parking will also be limited to manage the number of visitors. Those attending the festival are encouraged to limit visits to 90 minutes and try to attend on week days to limit crowds on the weekends.
More Information on Visiting Soergel Orchards
- Website: https://www.soergels.com
- Soergel’s Address: 2573 Brandt School Road, Wexford, PA 15090.
- Fall Festival Admission: Soergel’s Fall Festival Admission is free to get in and park. Apple picking, pumpkins and other items are available for additional cost.
- 2020 Soergels Fall Festival Dates: Open daily from September 19th until October 31st.
Freedom Farms Fall Festival
The Fall Festival at Freedom Farms is another one of our favorite fall things to do near Pittsburgh. Located in Butler County, the farm is spacious and includes one of our favorite pumpkin patches near Pittsburgh.
The highlights of the Fall Festival at Freedom Farms include:
- Corn filled play area with hay bales to climb on.
- Petting Zoo with goats, cows and more. (Bring quarters for the animal food dispensers.)
- Hay rides to the pumpkin patch to pick your own pumpkin.
- Fun corn maze for kids of all ages.
- Photo ops throughout and painted hay bales.
- Market with local vendors & crafts.
- Beer, wine and food available for purchase.
- Live music from local bands.
More Information on the Freedom Farms Butler, PA Fall Festival
- Website: https://www.freedomfarmspa.com/fall-festival
- Freedom Farms Address: 434 Overbrook Road, Valencia, PA
- Fall Festival Admission: $10 per person admission fee is charged prior to parking. Hayrides and other activities are included in admission. Children 3 and under are free.
- Freedom Farms Fall Festival 2020 Dates: Saturdays and Sundays in October & Columbus Day (Monday, October 12)
Harvest Valley Farms Fall Festival
Harvest Valley Farms is another family farm located right at the border of Allegheny and Butler counties. It tends to be a little more low key than some of the other fall festivals in the area, and it’s one of our favorites for that reason.
While details are still being finalized for the 2020 Harvest Valley Farms Fall Festival, below are some activities they’ve typically included in the past.
- Corn Pit and Barn Maze for younger kids.
- Food for sale, including items from the Harvest Valley Market.
- Petting area with farm animals.
- Hay ride throughout the farm (The owners conduct the hay rides and it’s a great way to learn more about Harvest Valley Farm.)
- Pumpkins for purchase as well as a pumpkin patch to pick your own.
Be sure to check out the nearby Harvest Valley Farmers Market for baked goods, fresh produced and other locally made items. The Harvest Valley Market is located at 6003 Cunningham Road, Gibsonia, PA. (Just 2 miles away from the farm.)
More Information on Visiting Harvest Valley Farms
- Website: https://www.harvestvalleyfarms.com/fall-festival
- Harvest Valley Farms Address: 125 Ida Lane, Valencia, PA
- Fall Festival Admission: Admission and parking are free. Activities are pay as you go.
- 2020 Harvest Valley Farms Fall Festival Dates: Saturdays and Sundays in October from 10am-5pm
Located in Wexford, PA, Shenot Farms is a family owned farm and market right off of Route 910. If you’re looking for apple picking in Pittsburgh, Shenot Farms has a spacious area for picking apples. In 2020, apple picking at Shenot Farms begins on August 31 and is available on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11am- 3pm.
Shenot Farms is also home to another one of the best pumpkin patches in Pittsburgh. While the hay rides at Shenot Farm will not be operating in 2020, visitors can access the pumpkin patch through a walking path. (Wagons and strollers are permitted.)
Another highlight of visiting Shenot Farms is the farmers market that’s open all year round. The market offers fudge and baked goods, pumpkins, apples, and several other local goods and produce. Right outside of the market, there’s outdoor seating and a play area for kids as well.
More Information on Visiting Shenot Farm
- Website: https://www.shenotfarm.com/fall-events-2020.html
- Address: 3754 Wexford Run Road, Wexford, PA 15090
- Shenot Farm 2020 Fall Activity Admission: The pumpkin patch is $2 per person age 2+ on Friday- Sunday. It’s free to access Monday- Thursday each week. Apples are $10/ peck, which includes the cost of bags.
- Shenot Farm 2020 Fall Activity Dates: The pumpkin patch will be open daily 10am- 5pm from September 26 until October 31, 2020. Apple picking is available on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11am-3pm.
Renshaw Farms Pumpkin Fest
Renshaw Farms is located in Freeport, PA, northeast of Pittsburgh. We attended the festival last year for the first time, and the 2020 Renshaw Farms Fall Festival will include many of the same family favorites as in the past.
Some of the highlights of this fall festival near Pittsburgh include:
- Corn maze themed with Spookily the Square Pumpkin story.
- Large petting zoo area with horses, goats, sheep and more.
- Hay bale “mountain” and stacked tires for climbing.
- Hay rides to the pumpkin patch to pick and purchase your own pumpkins.)
- Games including mini golf, spiderweb rope climb, bouncing horses and more.
- Fun photo ops throughout the property.
There’s also a country store and food available for purchase at Renshaw Farms.
More Information on Visiting Renshaw Farms
- Website: http://www.renshawfarmspumpkinfest.com
- Address: 314 Ford City Road, Freeport, PA 16229
- Fall Festival Admission: Renshaw admission is charged per person and includes most activities available at the pumpkin fest. Admission is $7 per person. Children 3 and under are free.
- 2020 Renshaw Farms Pumpkin Fest Dates: September 26 & 27; Every Friday- Sunday in October.
ZooBoo at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
The Pittsburgh Zoo Boo is another one of our favorite fall activities in Pittsburgh. This annual Halloween event at Pittsburgh’s Zoo & Aquarium encourages kids to dress up in costume and trick or treat throughout.
The 2020 Zoo Boo at Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG aquarium will be drive through only. It will include several of the same activities in the past with the exception that it’s from your car. Kids are still encouraged to dress up in their favorite Halloween costume for the drive.
The 2020 Pittsburgh ZooBoo will include:
- Trick or Treat Trail with Halloween Candy handed out.
- Candy stops at a variety of shops throughout the Zoo.
- Pumpkins in several animal areas (they’re often found eating or playing with them.)
- Zoo character interactions from the car.
- Guided audio tour of the zoo created for Zoo Boo Pittsburgh.
- In lieu of the typical costume parade, visitors are encouraged to decorate their car for the “CAR-stume parade.”
The Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium is also introducing one of the newest Pittsburgh Fall events for 2020 called Pumpkin Palooza. It will include pumpkin treats, pumpkin decorating and interactions with various animals. Registration is required for this event taking place on October 4.
More Information on Visiting the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
- Website: https://www.pittsburghzoo.org/event-zooboo/
- Pittsburgh Zoo Location: 7370 Baker Street Pittsburgh, PA 15206
- ZooBoo Admission: Timed tickets will need to be purchased advance at the website above. The ZooBoo Drive-Through cost is $60 per car, with discounted admission for members.
- 2020 Pittsburgh ZooBoo Dates: Saturday and Sunday October 16, 17, 24 and 25.
For more information on visiting the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium, check out this post: 7 Reasons to Visit the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
Located in Mars, PA, Applefest is a fun family festival that’s one of our favorite Fall festivals near Pittsburgh. It typically includes live music, a number local craft and vendors, free activities for the kids and tons of apples and apple foods throughout.
**Due to COVID, the 2020 Mars Applefest is canceled. It’s a family favorite of ours, so be sure to keep this on your list for fall things to do in Pittsburgh in 2021!**
More Information on Visiting Mars Apple Fest
- Website: http://marsapplefest.com
- Address: Main streets in Mars, PA
- Mars Applefest Admission: Admission for Applefest is free, with several items available for purchase.
Additional Fall Activities in Pittsburgh
There are several more Pittsburgh Fall Festivals and other fun things we have on fall bucket list for the future. Below are some additional ideas for fall activities, including Halloween events and great pumpkin patches near Pittsburgh, PA.
- Trax Farms Fall Festival in Finleyville, PA
- Schramm Farms Fall Festival in Jeannette, PA
- Triple B Farms Fall Fun in Monongahela, PA
- Hallowboo at Idlewild in Ligonier, PA
- Kennywood Phantom Fright Nights
- Scarehouse Pittsburgh (better suited for teens and adults)
Family-Friendly Pittsburgh Hotels
If you’re visiting Pittsburgh with kids (or without), we have a few recommendations for hotels in Pittsburgh. Although we live here, we’re all about a staycation in Pittsburgh and have stayed at all of these hotels over the years.
- The Westin Pittsburgh has an indoor pool and a family suite available. for families. It’s located downtown, right next to the Pittsburgh Convention Center.
- The Embassy Suites Hotel in Downtown Pittsburgh is an all suite hotel with awesome free breakfast and an indoor pool.
- The Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh- Downtown is located in the Strip District and offers free breakfast and an indoor pool.
- The Sheraton Hotel in Station Square Pittsburgh is located across the river from downtown Pittsburgh. It’s right next to The Gateway Clipper and has awesome views of the city, along with an indoor pool.
More Ideas for Fun Things to Do in Pittsburgh
Check out these blog posts for additional ideas for family-friendly Pittsburgh things to do throughout the year.
- 25+ Weekend Trips from Pittsburgh
- The Best Things to Do With Kids in Pittsburgh
- Family-Friendly Pittsburgh Restaurants
Like this Post? Click on the Image Below to Pin for Later.