Since I first had my son, I’ve been looking for ways to incorporate him into workouts. (Because, who wants to wake up an hour early to exercise on their own when their kid already wakes up at 5am? Not me!) When I was working full-time, I typically found classes that were available on Saturdays so I could bring my son with me. Now that I’m home with my son, I love finding classes during the week. It allows me to get that much needed adult time while giving us both something fun to do. Fortunately, there are so many mommy and me exercise classes in Pittsburgh that also have locations throughout the US.
The locations for the mommy and me classes listed here are in Pittsburgh given our locale. Most of the companies listed here have locations throughout the US, however. So fortunately you don’t have to be in Pittsburgh to take advantage of them!
Disclaimer: Toddling Traveler participates in the Amazon Affiliate program. That means we may earn a commission for items you purchase through our links, at no extra charge to you.
Swimming Lessons at Goldfish Swim School
After trying other swim schools in the past, I’m convinced that Goldfish is the best place for swimming lessons in Pittsburgh, PA. The one thing that really differentiates Goldfish from other swimming lessons is how kid-focused it is. From the bright colors to the fish and sea life decor, you can’t help but be happy walking into Goldfish Swim School in Wexford. There are also a number of things to keep kids busy before and after class. That includes chalk boards, books, toys and a coloring table. (Which is great if you also have siblings joining you.)
To find a Goldfish Swim School near you, check here.
Daddy or Mommy and Me Swim Classes at Goldfish
If you’re looking for swim classes for a baby or toddler, the Mini classes target children from 4-35 months. Mini classes require a parent to join and they have varying levels depending on age and ability. It’s a great way to get moving and stay active with your baby or toddler for the entire 30 minute class. Goldfish focuses on water safety and conditioning in addition to the traditional movements. After just five classes, I can already see a huge difference in his ability to follow the movements. At 2 years old, the pace is also perfect for his age. From the fun props to the fast paced class, it keeps his attention right from the beginning.
If you’re looking for a fun place to swim with the whole family, Goldfish also offers several Family Swim sessions throughout the week. Family swims are $5 per swimmer with a max of $15 per family. And they’re a great way to do something fun with the family all year round. (Or introduce your child to the pool prior to starting swim lessons.)
- Pittsburgh Location: 160 Lake Drive, Wexford, PA 15090
- Class Schedule: Classes are available daily at varying times in the morning, afternoon and evening. It’s easy to schedule or reschedule classes online, in person or on the phone.
- Cost: Group lessons are $96/ month plus a one time registration fee
- Website: https://www.goldfishswimschool.com/wexford/?L=true
Fit4Mom Stroller Workouts
Fit4Mom is a stroller-based workout that offers classes across the United States. There are two Fit4Mom locations in Pittsburgh. The North Hills Fit4Mom is the one we go to, and there’s also a Bethal Park Fit4Mom location in the South Hills. Depending on the location, they offer a combination of barre based and cardio based workouts, as well as workouts tailored to prenatal and postpartum recovery. The classes can be done all-year-round, typically with an outdoor location in the warmer months and indoors in the cooler months. Make sure you have a jogging friendly stroller before going to a Fit4Mom stroller class. We love the this jogging stroller and think its worth every penny if you’re planning to run or do trails with your baby. When my son was a baby, we paired the jogging stroller with this infant car seat.
- Class Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday mornings at 9:15am
- Pittsburgh Location: Classes are held at North Park by the Boathouse during the summer. When the weather is cooler, they meet indoors at the Block at Northway. There are also a Fit4Mom classes in the South Hills in Pittsburgh.
- Cost: If you’e new to Fit4Mom, your first class is always free. The cost is $15 after that, with packages available to bring the class price down more.
- Website: https://northhills.fit4mom.com
If you’re outside of Pittsburgh, you can find a Fit4Mom location by searching here.
Barre Studios with Childcare
I started doing barre when I was 4 months pregnant with my son. It’s a great low impact workout that can be easily modified. That makes it great whether you’re pregnant or postpartum as well. It can be especially hard to find studios or gyms with childcare in Pittsburgh (or anywhere for that matter.) I love these two barre studios in particular since they offer kids’ rooms while the moms are working out.
Bar Method Wexford
The Bar Method Wexford is a brand new studio to the Pittsburgh area. It was also started by two Penn State alumni. (If you’ve been following me for a while or read my post on Phoenix with a Baby, you know that we’re a little Penn State obsessed over here.) Each workout uses primarily bodyweight resistance to define your entire body. And the workout is always coupled with a great soundtrack. The instructors at Bar Method do a great job at helping you with positions and adjustments to figure out the best workout for you. The owner, Mandy, and Studio Director, Carrie, are also super sweet and welcoming to everyone who walks in the door.
Aside from the class itself, Bar Method Wexford offers childcare. Can’t go wrong with a place that makes it easy for moms to exercise with their littles safe and entertained next door. My son loves the kids’ room at Bar Method Wexford and heads for the chalkboard every time!
- Class Schedule: Classes are offered daily Monday- Saturday; childcare is available at 9:30am and 12pm Monday- Friday
- Pittsburgh Location: 10339 Perry Hwy, Wexford, PA
- Cost: Classes can be purchased individually or as a package. Bar Method Wexford is currently offering the first class for free. (And if you sign up, please mention we referred you!)
- Website: https://barmethod.com/locations/wexford/
For Bar Method locations outside of Pittsburgh, see here.
The Dailey Method (TDM) Pittsburgh
The Dailey Method in Pittsburgh is another great barre studio North of Pittsburgh. TDM Pittsburgh strives to build a community of women, under its owner, Joanna Amelio. The Dailey Method offers a variety of barre workouts, including Fusion and Interval in addition to traditional barre classes. Depending on demand, The Daily Method also offers mommy and me barre classes. Dailey Baby Classes are a mommy and me workout with your baby in the carrier. Additionally, TDM offers classes for kids including 4-week Lunch Bunch Classes for kids ages 3-5.
Childcare is also offered in the kids’ room at The Dailey Method Pittsburgh. Childcare is even available for babies as young as 6 weeks old.
- Pittsburgh Location: Village at Pine, 2000 Village Run Road, Suite 203, Wexford, PA, 15090
- Class Schedule: Classes are offered every day of the week. The kids’ room is available during certain classes on Monday- Saturday.
- Cost: Individual classes are $23, however, classes are discounted when purchasing a class pack or membership. Childcare is $5 per class (or less if you purchase a kids’ room class pack.)
- Website: https://thedaileymethod.com/studios/pittsburgh
Many locations outside of Pittsburgh offer kids’ rooms as well. You can find your closest TDM location by searching here.
Yoga For Parents & Kids of All Ages
There are so many different yoga classes out there, whether you’re an expectant mom, looking for baby yoga or family yoga classes in Pittsburgh. Below are a few great places that offer yoga for families in Pittsburgh.
Green Yoga Pittsburgh
Green Yoga, located in Aspinwall, really caters to families and yogis of all ages and abilities. There are several classes available throughout the week, as well as some specifically cater to families and/or Moms.
- Om Baby Yoga is a great mommy and me yoga class. It introduces your baby to yoga while doing stretches that target the right body parts for postpartum recovery. We did baby yoga here for the first time when my son was about 6 months old.
- Mom Strong is a kid-free class taught by Kristen Carlin. It focuses on empowering moms to focus on themselves and their fitness.
- Green Yoga also periodically offers classes for families with slightly older kids as well. (Beyond the baby yoga stage.)
For more information on Green Yoga in Aspinwall, see their website here.
Schoolhouse Yoga has locations in the North Hills, East Liberty & Squirrel Hill. Currently only the Squirrel Hill and East Liberty Locations offer Mommy & Me classes. Mommy and me classes at Schoolhouse Yoga are aimed at moms with kids from 0-3 years old.
For more information on Schoolhouse Yoga in Pittsburgh, see their website here.
Toddler Story Time Yoga at Riverstone Bookstore
Our favorite local bookstore, Riverstone Books, also offers toddler yoga story time. This is an adorable (and free!) way for kids to get familiar with the yoga movements. With an active 18-month old, this has been a great way for us to test the waters and start learning the practice of yoga. Parents can also join in to help teach their kids the movements. Plus, Riverstone has a great selection of yoga books available for families to practice the poses at home.
For more information on events at Riverstone Books, including toddler story time yoga, see their website here.
Kindermusik technically isn’t technically an exercise class, but you won’t stop moving from the minute you walk in the door. It’s a great way for parents and little ones to have fun together while singing, dancing and actively learning through play the entire time. At Kindermusik with Christa Beck, our local favorite, classes are available in Murrysville, Tarentum and Sarver. To find a Kindermusik near you, search here.
Ideas for Exercising with your Baby or Toddler for Free
If you’d like to workout with a little one in tow but don’t want to spend the money on a class, you’re in luck! Below are a few ideas for for exercising with a little one without paying anything.
Walk or Bike Around a New Place
When you get tired of pushing the stroller around the same block every day, just head to your local or state park. In Pittsburgh, our favorite local park to ride bikes or walk is North Park in Wexford. There’s a long path around the lake with plenty of playgrounds to stop at along the way. This makes it perfect for getting exercise (and having fun) with a baby or toddler.
Check out Your Local Library for Exercise Classes
Many libraries offer programs aside from the traditional story times to get kids and their parents moving. Our local library, Northern Tier, speficially offers a toddler/preschool exercise program. This fun program in Gibsonia includes running, dancing, obstacles and yoga. The class also encourages parents and caregivers to move along with the kids, making it great for the whole family.
Find a Workout to do at Home on YouTube
Several mommy and me exercise classes are available, including the two examples below.
- Bodyfit by Amy is a great home “trainer” for prenatal exercise classes. There is also a Baby and Me workout for babies of all ages.
- Nancy Taylor offers several baby and me/ toddler and me workouts.
Have a favorite Mommy & Me at home workout or class to do with your little ones? Please share in the comments if you have any ideas that aren’t mentioned above!
Related Post: The Best Things to Do in Pittsburgh with a Toddler
Click on an image below to Pin for Later:
Want regular updates on family travel tips and inspiration? Feel free to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram or Twitter. Be sure to sign up below to receive our emails as well! Don’t worry, we won’t spam you, and you can unsubscribe at any time.