With the holidays coming up, I wanted to share 10 of our favorite toys to travel with for babies and toddlers, all of which are under $10. They’re all lightweight, mess free and (mostly) noise free, which makes them perfect for keeping little ones entertained for long road trips or plane rides as well as at home.
I’ve found that getting a special toy or activity (or hiding and bringing back out an old favorite) gives the kiddos something new and exciting to keep them entertained on long trips. Below are many of our favorites for our son from the time he was newborn until now at 18 months, with many of these being suitable for older kids as well.
Disclaimer: Toddling Traveler participates in the Amazon Affiliate Program, which means we may earn a small commission for items purchased through our links, at no charge to you.
1. Indestructible Things That Go! Baby Book: These are great because they’re lightweight so you can take them anywhere and the pages can’t be torn, plus they easily wipe clean or you can even throw them in the wash for those unexpected spills. They also come in a pack of 6 for $36. Manufacturer’s Recommended Age: 0+months.
2. Multi-Sensory Activity Toy: While this toy from Baby Einstein isn’t completely noise free, it’s relatively quiet while being multi-sensory. Plus hooks onto a stroller, carseat, really anywhere to take on-the-go. Recommended Age: 0 to 12 months.
3. Little Squirts Bath Toys:I don’t love these for the bath since they easily fill with mold, but without water they’re small and easy for baby to hold or chew on. Plus they’re easy to clean and come in a large pack so you don’t need to worry about losing a few on your travels. Manufacturer’s Recommended Age: 6+ months. (They can still be entertaining for older babies and toddlers who start to engage in pretend play.)
4. The First Years Stack Up Cups: They’re compact and come with a link to hold them together when you’re on-the-go. Manufacturer’s Recommended Age: 6+ months (My 18-month old recently re-discovered these and he loves using them in the car.)
6. Munchkin Travel Flash Cards: These are great for little ones to help them start recognizing various animals and shapes eventually name them out as they get older. Manufacturer’s Recommended Age: 3+ years; however, any age is appropriate to start describing to babies and toddlers what the various images are.
7. Melissa & Doug on-the-go Reuseable Activity Pad: These are perfect for mess free coloring using a water filled pen, and they can be reused over and over again. Manufacturer’s Recommended Age: 3+ years. (We started using this at 12 months with some assistance.)
8. Magnetic Fun- Cars, Planes & Trains: Magnets are great because they can be reused and the contents are all magnetized to stick together. Manufacturer’s Recommended Age: 3+ years. (We started using magnets around 12 months with some assistance.)
10. Usborne Airport Sticker Book: Sticker books are great because it takes a pretty big chunk of time for kids to place them on the page one by one, and this one is great since it teaches kids about airports and flying. Manufacturer’s Recommended Age: 5+ years. (Similar to magnets, we started using stickers around 12 months with a little more assistance.)
Please share in the comments if you have any favorite small toys for travel that aren’t on this list. We’re always looking for new ideas!
Pin for Later: