Have you ever been to an all inclusive resort and felt like you could be anywhere in the world because they all start to feel the same? That was my impression before our recent trip to the Park Royal Golden Resort in Cancun, Mexico. Not only does Park Royal embrace the Mexican culture to create a more authentic experience, but it does it in a way that’s unbelievably kid-friendly. At the core of this family friendly resort in Cancun is the Mexican Family Memories Experience.
When I first heard about Park Royal’s family experience program, I loved how much thought was put into creating an authentic experience at an all inclusive in Mexico. Yes, the Park Royal Golden provides the traditional offerings you’d want in a family friendly all-inclusive resort. It has awesome water slides and a kids’ club that many people look for. The thing that sets the Park Royal Golden in Cancun, however, is how much it embraces its Mexican culture and seeks to teach its guests the same. They don’t attempt to be a cookie cutter resort, because they’re not a cookie cutter brand. And it really shows throughout the entire experience at Park Royal Golden Resort.
Keep reading for more on our review of the Park Royal Golden Resort and the Mexican Family Memories Experience in Cancun.
Sponsored Post: We were hosted by the Park Royal Resort brand. As always, all opinions are gladly our own.
Toddling Traveler also participates in the Amazon Affiliate and other affiliate programs. That means we may earn a small commission for items purchased through our links, at no extra charge to you.
Review of the Park Royal Golden Cancun
Getting to the Park Royal Golden in Cancun
The Park Royal Golden Resort is located in Cancun’s Hotel Zone. It’s located just 20 minutes from the Cancun Airport and an easy drive. I highly recommend pre-arranging transportation from the Cancun Airport to the hotel to ensure you get to the resort via a reputable company. Once you go through customs and get your luggage at baggage claim, the hallway you walk through to get to ground transfers is a little chaotic. (It’s best to just ignore the sales people who will likely be trying to convince you of a package or transport!)
Transfers from the Cancun airport to Park Royal Golden can be arranged through the resort directly or through a variety of travel booking companies online. Our transportation was arranged through the resort via Azul Cancun. Being met by someone holding a sign with your name certainly takes the stress out of figuring out where to go! I was very impressed with the timeliness and quality of the drivers throughout our stay. You can also book a shared transfer from the Cancun Airport here or a prearrange a taxi here.
Note: If you’re traveling with a toddler or baby, car seats are not required for taxis in Cancun. Typically you can request a car seat when prearranging transportation, however. We still have our son sit in this lightweight car seat when we fly, so we had it available for our transfers throughout Mexico.
Checking In and Out of the Park Royal Golden
The check-in process at the Park Royal Golden Cancun was extremely easy and not as chaotic as resort check-ins I’ve experienced in the past. It only took us about 5 minutes to complete the paperwork. (Which couldn’t have been any more different than my last experience checking in at an all inclusive resort.) We were even given the option to choose our pillow type, and it’s the first I’ve seen this at a resort. The check-out process at the Park Royal Golden Cancun was equally as seamless. There’s a separate desk for checking out, which makes processing everything much easier for guests.
My husband and I were provided with bracelets for our stay that we were required to have cut off when we checked out of the resort. Since kids under 6 are free, our son did not need a bracelet. Be aware that when traveling to Cancun, you will need to provide your passports at check-in for everyone in your family. If it’s your first time traveling with children outside of the US, be sure to check out our tips for getting a passport for a child in the US.
Mexican Family Memories Experience
So what is the Mexican Family Memories Experience at the Park Royal Golden in Cancun? It really aims to create an authentic experience for families who still want the convenience of an all-inclusive resort. So many all inclusive resorts have such a strong American or European influence that it’s easy to forget you’re even in Mexico. The Park Royal Golden all-inclusive resort couldn’t be more different. (One of many reasons why it’s one of the best family friendly resorts in Cancun!)
Some of the highlights during our trip as part of the family experience program included:
- Making an authentic piñata with a family photo session and album.
- A special family dinner on the beach with amazing Mexican food.
- A 1-bedroom family suite with in-room aromatherapy and personalized pillows.
- Special nightly turndown with Mexican Chispas cookies and milk.
- An in-room mini fridge filled daily with Mexican sodas and other treats.
- A beach bag along with a t-shirt for our son. (Plus they even include kid-sized robes if you have slightly older kids!)
- Special movies for the kids in-room, including some Disney favorites. (At the time of our visit, many of the movies were in Spanish. That didn’t bother our 2 year old who loved watching The Lion King for the first time in Spanish.)
Interested in booking a stay at this family friendly all-inclusive resort in Cancun? Head here for more information on Park Royal Golden’s availability and rates.
Special Mexican Family Dinner at Park Royal
I’ve eaten a lot of great Mexican food in my life. I have to say that our special family dinner as part of Park Royal’s family experience was the best I’ve ever had. Our dinner was held on the beautiful veranda at the Pescador (seafood) restaurant. The table was beautifully decorated in a Mexican theme. And our views of the beach at night were equally as stunning.
Our meal started off with guacamole made table side. It was followed by a trio of tostadas, empanadas that were super flavorful. (Including a special Yucatan tortilla that was SO good.) The main course was a variety of grilled meats served in a traditional, hot molcajete dish. It included vegetables, pork, steak, salmon and tofu that were all cooked perfectly. (Our picky toddler was even in heaven with his guacamole and plate full of quesadillas.) The finale to our amazing meal was a rice pudding with churros.
We had a chance to say hello to Executive Chef Lucio Radilla Moreno at the end of our meal. He has over 40 years of experience, and I could tell that he put a lot of thought and pride into every item he made. I would definitely recommend the family experience for the authentic Mexican meal alone!
Alternatively, if you’re looking for some alone time, parents can also choose a romantic dinner without the kids. While you’re having a quiet meal, the kids have a PJ party in the Kids’ Club. It’s a win, win!
Another highlight to the Mexican Family Memories Experience is the making of an authentic piñata. With the help of the activities director and Edith at the Kids Club, we started off by learning more about the history of the piñata. For example, did you know that piñatas were originally made of hard clay and filled with water? (I had no idea!) While my son needed some help at 2 years old, he loved putting the glue and paper on the piñata base and then filling it with Mexican candy. We brought the piñata home with us to the US, and he’s super excited to share it with his “school” friends.
Family Photos at the Park Royal Golden Cancun
Have you ever gone on a family vacation and wanted professional pictures but not sure where to go? If you’re looking for a photographer for family pictures in Cancun, Photo Art at the Park Royal Golden has got you covered! 10 pictures of the piñata making were included with the family experience package. After our piñata making at the Park Royal Kids’ Club, our photographer took us around the resort for a quick photo session. He breezed through it, which was great for our 2 year old who was getting hot (i.e. cranky.) We still got some awesome pictures from it. We opted to pay an additional fee of approximately $50 USD, which was a great deal for about 50 edited pictures and a video.
So How Can You Book the Mexican Family Memories Experience at the Park Royal Golden Resort in Cancun?
To book your own family experience, you can contact the reservation desk to have it booked. This can be done by either calling 1.855.827.6994 or by contacting the reservation desk here. At this time, the family experience package isn’t available for booking on Park Royal Golden’s website.
Visiting the Park Royal Golden in Cancun with Kids
Even if you choose not to get the full Mexican Family Memories Experience package, the Park Royal Golden Cancun offers so much for families to do. Between the beach, activities, the kids’ club and the designated kids’ pool, it’s one of the best resorts for families in Cancun that I’ve seen.
Another benefit to this kid-friendly resort in Cancun is that kids under 6 are FREE! Children ages 6-12 are 50% off the full adult price, and children over 12 are charged the full rate. (If you’re visiting with older children, keep in mind that anyone 18 or older can drink alcohol in Cancun.)
The Kids’ Pool at Park Royal
Looking for an all-inclusive resort with in Cancun with water slides and an entire kids pool area? The Park Royal Golden Resort in Cancun has an amazing pool area just for kids that just opened in the last few years. If you’re there with bigger kids, there are several waterslides throughout the kids waterpark area. (There’s also an awesome shark slide that’s great for the toddlers!) For younger children like my son, there are several different splash pad and sprinkler areas throughout. Plus, the entire pool is shallow, so kids can easily walk around while the parents relax. The kids’ pool at Park Royal Golden is also conveniently located right next to the Kids’ Club.
The Kids’ Club at Park Royal Golden in Cancun
If you’re also looking for a resort in Cancun with a kids’ club, Park Royal has a great one. As an addition to the kids’ pool, the kids’ club at Park Royal was just built in April of 2019. The main feature of the kids’ room at Park Royal is a ball pit that lights up different colors. The room also has bookshelves filled with a variety of toys, puzzles and other activities for learning through play. There’s also an open area with cushions that’s perfect for watching an unlimited number of kids movies in either English or Spanish on repeat.
Another thing that makes this Cancun resort with a kids’ room stand out is the hourly activities for kids. The schedule is posted on a chalk board in the kids’ room and changes daily. Kids’ Club activities include everything from arts and crafts to cooking lessons to sand castle making and movie nights, all with certified childcare professionals.
A few additional notes on the Park Royal Cancun Kids’ Club:
- Children ages 4-12 can be dropped off at the kids’ club.
- Kids under 4 can use the kids’ club at Park Royal with adult supervision. We loved playing in the kids room as a family, and Edith at the kids’ room was also happy to play with our son while I was catching up on some work. (The reality of having a family travel blog!)
- The kids’ club at Park Royal Golden in Cancun is open from 9am- 8pm. I loved that it’s open during dinner time, and they frequently have pizza parties for the kids as well.
- There is no additional charge to use the kids’ club at Park Royal.
- If you’re looking for a resort in Cancun with babysitting, Park Royal offers babysitting as well for an additional fee.
- Child care staff at the Park Royal Golden are certified in Pediatric First Aid.
We also found similar kids’ clubs at the Grand Park Royal in Cancun and Cozumel. Just one of many features that made the Park Royal brand some of the best family-friendly resorts in Mexico.
The Rooms at Park Royal Family Friendly Resort in Cancun
One of the things that first struck me is how updated our room at the Park Royal in Cancun was. We were fortunate to have an Master Suite with one bedroom and 2 bathrooms. Our room was tastefully decorated with modern furnishings and it was spotlessly clean. (Something we found to be consistent throughout the Park Royal Resorts.)
Whenever we’re traveling with a toddler, a separate bedroom is ideal so we can still do other things while our son is napping or sleeping at night. The suites at the Park Royal certainly have ample space for families to spread out. From speaking to families with 3 or 4 kids, it can sometimes be difficult to find a room that accommodates the whole family. Fortunately, this suite at Park Royal accommodates up to 6 people! Most rooms at Park Royal Golden have 2 double beds, which is often great for families. If you’re looking for a room with a king sized bed, be sure to specifically request that in advance. Wooden cribs are also available at the Park Royal Golden Resort upon request.
The only downside if you’re visiting with young children is that there’s no bathtub in the room. (This is becoming the standard for resorts these days!) When traveling with a baby, we used this inflatable tub when staying in a hotel without a bathtub. Given the layout of the resort, full ocean view rooms are rare. Many of them have partial ocean views, however, which was almost as good!
The Food at the Park Royal Golden Cancun
Since Park Royal has a more authentic overall feel, you’ll find a lot of traditional Mexican food items throughout breakfast, lunch and dinner. (In addition to other more globally known food items.) We found the food at the buffets at Park Royal to be really fresh with a great variety. That said, I could definitely see how picky eaters may not like the lack of “Americanized” food. (Personally, I feel like you shouldn’t go to Mexico wanting to only eat American food, but to each their own!)
If you’re not in the mood for Mexican food, Park Royal also offers Italian and Seafood restaurants. Additionally, there are a variety of themed meals at the buffet for dinner.
Restaurants at Park Royal Golden Resort
- La Veranda: The main buffet at Park Royal that includes a combination of Mexican and international dishes. We didn’t get a chance to have dinner there, but the breakfast and lunch were both great.
- Andiamo Restaurant: Serves specialty Italian food for dinner. (Children must be 6 to eat an early dinner here. After 7pm, only children 12+ are permitted.)
- Pescador Restaurant: Offers lunch and dinner buffets along with a la carte options.
- Frida Restaurant: Mexican restaurant serving local specialities for dinner.
- El Jardin Snack Bar: Serves burgers, hot dogs, pizza and nachos from 12-6pm daily. (This is a great option if you have kids who can’t wait until 6:30pm for dinner!)
Keep in mind there is also a dress code typical of all inclusive resorts in Mexico. That includes close toed shoes, shirts with sleeves and pants for dinner for men. Flip flops are not recommended for women (at least for dinner) and no jeans. This isn’t enforced as much for children until they get older.
Bars at Park Royal Golden Cancun
In addition to the restaurants at Park Royal, there are also 3 great bars throughout the resort:
- La Langosta: Swim up pool bar by the main pool. They’re happy to mix up fun, alcohol free drinks for the kids as well!
- La Duna: Bar by the adults only pool with great views and nearby hammocks to relax on.
- The Lobby Bar with a view of the huge protector TV that’s great for watching games.
If you’re looking for a kid free night out in Cancun without having to leave the resort, you can also check out the roof top bar available at the top of the main building. (Note that drinks at the rooftop bar are an extra charge.)
Additional Information on the Park Royal Golden Resort in Cancun
Overall, we had an amazing time at the Park Royal Golden in Cancun and felt that it was one of the best resorts for families that we’ve stayed at in Mexico. The service was attentive and personable, and we really liked the overall feel of being in a smaller resort. (No having to walk half a mile to get to the beach or fight for a chair by the pool!)
Below are a few additional highlights of the Park Royal Golden Resort in Cancun.
- The resort was build around Mayan ruins that were left in tact on site. Be sure to climb up to the ruins, explore and take in the great views while you’re there.
- The beach at the Park Royal Golden is beautiful with white sand and blue-green water. There are chairs and umbrellas available for use on a first come, first serve basis.
- There are 3 pools at Park Royal Golden, including a main pool, a children’s pool and an adults only pool.
- Towels are available to use for the beach and pool.
- We found early November to be a great time to visit Cancun. It was just after the Hurricane season and before the crowds and prices increase around the Thanksgiving holiday.
- There’s a fitness center and onsite spa at the Park Royal Golden in Cancun.
- Theres a convenience store onsite as well as a goods made from local Mexican artists that are sold nightly.
- Non motorized water sports are available as well as beach volleyball and other activities.
- A variety of offsite excursions can be arranged at the resort.
- There’s a high-end shopping mall and a huge observation ferris wheel located right across from Park Royal. We didn’t have time to venture out, but it seemed perfectly safe to walk to from the resort.
Still have questions on the Park Royal Golden Resort in Cancun?
Please feel free to ask us any questions in the comments. You can also head to the Park Royal Golden Cancun website for more information.
Stay tuned for more on our stays at the Grand Park Royal Luxury Resorts in Cancun and Cozumel as well!
Like this Post? Click on the Image Below to Pin for Later: