One of my favorite things about living in Pennsylvania- and especially Pittsburgh- is that we get to experience all four seasons. Fall has always been my favorite time of year, and Pittsburgh is an awesome place for it. Between the fall foliage, apple picking, pumpkin patches in Pittsburgh and more, there’s no shortage of fall activities in Pittsburgh, PA.
Below is a rundown of our favorite fall things to do in Pittsburgh in 2021. This list also includes a few fall events and activities on our Pittsburgh bucket list for the future.
Note: Details for some 2021 fall festivals in Pittsburgh have not yet been released. Be sure to check back for updates periodically!
Table of Contents: Things to do in Pittsburgh in the Fall
Soergel’s Orchard is located in Wexford, PA just north of Pittsburgh. While the farm and country store are great to visit all year round, it’s also home to of the most popular fall festivals in Pittsburgh.
Throughout the year, you can find the following things to do at Soergels:
- Country Store with local goods and produce, plus a bakery and deli with a small cafe.
- Garden and home store with beautiful decor for the inside and outside of your house.
- Tiny Town play area for the kids behind the country store.
- Small petting zoo area with farm animals like goats and sheep.
- Naturally Soergel’s with specialty food items for those with specific dietary needs.
- Arsenal Cider House and wine shop.
- The gift barn, with a number of unique gifts including a dedicated toy area upstairs.
- Gem minining at Soergel’s is available as well.
Soergel Orchard’s Fall Festival
In addition to the regular offerings at Soergels, they hold an annual Fall Festival as well. It’s one of our favorite fall activities in Pittsburgh, and we look forward to attending on a weekday when the crowds are lower.
Below are the highlights for Soergel’s Fall Festival.
- The Soergels pumpkin patch and apple picking is available daily starting in mid September.
- Soergel’s market will be filled with fall goodies including pumpkin treats, candy apples and cider donuts for takeout only. Outside food vendors and picnic tables will not be available this year.
- The petting zoo area will be open with distancing measures in place.
- An outdoor market will be available on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Hayrides, games, pony rides and the “Tiny Town” play area are available as well.
More Information on Visiting Soergel Orchards
- Website: https://www.soergels.com
- Soergel’s Address: 2573 Brandt School Road, Wexford, PA 15090.
- Fall Festival Admission: Soergel’s Fall Festival Admission is free to get in and park. Apple picking, pumpkins and other items are available for additional cost.
- 2021 Soergels Fall Festival Dates: TBD
Freedom Farms Fall Festival
The Fall Festival at Freedom Farms is another one of our favorite fall things to do near Pittsburgh. Located in Butler County, the farm is spacious and includes one of our favorite pumpkin patches near Pittsburgh.
The highlights of the Fall Festival at Freedom Farms include:
- Corn filled play area with hay bales to climb on.
- Petting Zoo with goats, cows and more. (Bring quarters for the animal food dispensers.)
- Hay rides to the pumpkin patch to pick your own pumpkin.
- Fun corn maze for kids of all ages.
- Photo ops throughout and painted hay bales.
- Market with local vendors & crafts.
- Beer, wine and food available for purchase.
- Live music from local bands.
More Information on the Freedom Farms Butler, PA Fall Festival
- Website: https://www.freedomfarmspa.com/fall-festival
- Freedom Farms Address: 434 Overbrook Road, Valencia, PA
- Fall Festival Admission: $10 per person admission fee is charged prior to parking. Hayrides and other activities are included in admission. Children 3 and under are free.
- Freedom Farms Fall Festival 2021 Dates: Saturdays and Sundays in October + Columbus Day (October 11) from 11am- 5pm.
Harvest Valley Farms Fall Festival
Harvest Valley Farms is another family farm located right at the border of Allegheny and Butler counties. It tends to be a little more low key than some of the other fall festivals in the area, and it’s one of our favorites for that reason.
While details are still being finalized for the 2021 Harvest Valley Farms Fall Festival, below are some activities they’ve typically included in the past.
- Corn Pit and Barn Maze for younger kids.
- Food for sale, including items from the Harvest Valley Market.
- Petting area with farm animals.
- Hay ride throughout the farm (The owners conduct the hay rides and it’s a great way to learn more about Harvest Valley Farm.)
- Pumpkins for purchase as well as a pumpkin patch to pick your own.
Be sure to check out the nearby Harvest Valley Farmers Market for baked goods, fresh produced and other locally made items. The Harvest Valley Market is located at 6003 Cunningham Road, Gibsonia, PA. (Just 2 miles away from the farm.)
More Information on Visiting Harvest Valley Farms
- Website: https://www.harvestvalleyfarms.com/fall-festival
- Harvest Valley Farms Address: 125 Ida Lane, Valencia, PA
- Fall Festival Admission: Admission and parking are free. Activities are pay as you go.
- 2021 Harvest Valley Farms Fall Festival Dates: TBD; typically Saturdays and Sundays in October from 10am-5pm
Located in Wexford, PA, Shenot Farms is a family owned farm and market right off of Route 910. If you’re looking for apple picking in Pittsburgh, Shenot Farms has a spacious area for picking apples. In 2021, Shenot Farms apple picking starts the first weekend in September and is available from 10am-2pm. Apples are $12/peck and apple picking dates are announced weekly.
Shenot Farms is also home to another one of the best pumpkin patches in Pittsburgh. Hay rides at Shenot Farm are available on weekends, and visitors can access the pumpkin patch through a walking path. (Wagons and strollers are permitted.)
Another highlight of visiting Shenot Farms is the farmers market that’s open all year round. The market offers fudge and baked goods, pumpkins, apples, and several other local goods and produce. Right outside of the market, there’s outdoor seating and a play area for kids as well.
More Information on Visiting Shenot Farm
- Website: https://www.shenotfarm.com
- Address: 3754 Wexford Run Road, Wexford, PA 15090
- Shenot Farm 2021 Fall Activity Admission: The pumpkin patch is $2 per person on the weekends and hayrides are $5 per person. (Under 3 is free.)
- Shenot Farm 2021 Fall Activity Dates: The pumpkin patch is open daily 10am- 5pm from September 25- October 31. Hayrides to the Shenot Farm pumpkin patch are available on Saturdays and Sundays from 11am-5pm. Apple picking at Shenot farm is available on select days starting in September.
Renshaw Farms Pumpkin Fest
Renshaw Farms is located in Freeport, PA, northeast of Pittsburgh. It’s a great festival for families, and the 2021 Renshaw Farms Fall Festival will likely include many of the same activities as in the past. Some of the highlights of this fall festival near Pittsburgh include:
- Corn maze themed with Spookily the Square Pumpkin story.
- Large petting zoo area with horses, goats, sheep and more.
- Hay bale “mountain” and stacked tires for climbing.
- Hay rides to the pumpkin patch to pick and purchase your own pumpkins.)
- Games including mini golf, spiderweb rope climb, bouncing horses and more.
- Fun photo ops throughout the property.
There’s also a country store and food available for purchase at Renshaw Farms.
More Information on Visiting Renshaw Farms
- Website: http://www.renshawfarmspumpkinfest.com
- Address: 314 Ford City Road, Freeport, PA 16229
- Fall Festival Admission: Renshaw admission is charged per person and includes most activities available at the pumpkin fest. Admission is $7 per person. Children 3 and under are free.
- 2021 Renshaw Farms Pumpkin Fest Dates: TBD; Typically every Friday- Sunday in October.
ZooBoo at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
The Pittsburgh Zoo Boo is another one of our favorite fall activities in Pittsburgh. This annual Halloween event at Pittsburgh’s Zoo & Aquarium encourages kids to dress up in costume and trick or treat throughout.
The 2021, Zoo Boo at Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG aquarium is back with the traditional walk through format.
- Trick or Treat Trail with Halloween Candy handed out.
- Candy and activity stops throughout the zoo (sponsored by local businesses.)
- Animals eating pumpkin treats throughout the zoo.
- Zoo characters in costume throughout the zoo.
- Halloween parade, dance party and costume contest.
More Information on Visiting the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
- Website: https://www.pittsburghzoo.org/event-zooboo/
- Pittsburgh Zoo Location: 7370 Baker Street Pittsburgh, PA 15206
- ZooBoo Admission: ZooBoo festivities are included with regular admission. Purchase tickets in advance to guarantee admission!
- 2021 Pittsburgh ZooBoo Dates: October 16, 17, 23 & 24 from 10am- 3pm.
For more information on visiting the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium, read these tips for visiting the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
Located in Mars, PA, Applefest is a fun family festival that’s one of our favorite Fall festivals near Pittsburgh. After being canceled in 2020, the Mars Applefest is back as one of the best fall things to do in Pittsburgh in 2021. Things to do at the Mars Applefest include:
- Live music and performances from local performers.
- Local vendors and artists selling a variety of items.
- Free activities for the kids.
- Yummy apple themed and other foods for sale throughout.
More Information on Visiting Mars Apple Fest
- Website: http://marsapplefest.com
- Address: Main streets in Mars, PA
- Mars Applefest Admission: Admission for Applefest is free, with several items available for purchase.
- 2021 Mars Applefest Date: October 2, 2021 from 10am- 4pm.
Additional Fall Activities in Pittsburgh
There are several more Pittsburgh Fall Festivals that we haven’t been to yet! Below are some additional ideas for fall activities that have been recommended by friends and followers. They include Pittsburgh Halloween events and great pumpkin patches near Pittsburgh, PA.
- Irons Mill Farm in New Wilmington, PA
- Trax Farms Fall Festival in Finleyville, PA
- Schramm Farms Fall Festival in Jeannette, PA
- Triple B Farms Fall Fun in Monongahela, PA
- Hozak Farms in Clinton, PA
- Pumpkinland at Janoski’s Farm in Clinton, PA
- Hallowboo at Idlewild in Ligonier, PA
- Kennywood Phantom Fright Nights
- Scarehouse Pittsburgh (better suited for teens and adults)
Family-Friendly Pittsburgh Hotels
If you’re visiting Pittsburgh with kids (or without), we have a few recommendations for hotels in Pittsburgh. Although we live here, we’re all about a staycation in Pittsburgh and have stayed at all of these hotels over the years.
- The Westin Pittsburgh has an indoor pool and a family suite available. for families. It’s located downtown, right next to the Pittsburgh Convention Center.
- The Embassy Suites Hotel in Downtown Pittsburgh is an all suite hotel with awesome free breakfast and an indoor pool.
- The Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh- Downtown is located in the Strip District and offers free breakfast and an indoor pool.
- The Sheraton Hotel in Station Square Pittsburgh is located across the river from downtown Pittsburgh. It’s right next to The Gateway Clipper and has awesome views of the city, along with an indoor pool.
More Ideas for Fun Things to Do in Pittsburgh
Check out these blog posts for additional ideas for family-friendly Pittsburgh things to do throughout the year.
- 25+ Weekend Trips from Pittsburgh
- 13 Fun Things to Do With Kids in Pittsburgh
- The Best Things to Do With Toddlers in Pittsburgh
- Family-Friendly Pittsburgh Restaurants
Like this Post? Click on the Image Below to Pin for Later.